Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Exercise Me

I love to exercise. Really, I do. I feel so much better afterward and sleep better, too. But there are obstacles to exercise; let me count the excuses:

1. I have a little kid at home. I can't take her with me to the gym or go on a good, fast walk with her. When I try to do yoga or pilates or stretching at home she sometimes tackles me or screams "no!" or demands I play with her instead.
2. I live in Seattle, where it rains a lot. Granted, I could carry an umbrella. But if I wear my walking shoes (my sneakers) out I'll get wet feet. Do I need to spend even more money -- on waterproof walking shoes -- to motivate me? Can I get the same workout pacing back and forth in the living room?
3. Pain and injury (as well as fear of pain and injury). I walked an hour the first two days of my venture, and my ankles and legs hurt afterward. I know it will get better if I keep at it. But what if too much walking makes the bursitis in my left knee flare up? Or I hurt myself so bad that I can't walk at all?

Getting past these excuses is as much a mental game as a physical one. Your advice is welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I have no advice, but I have the same excuses. I take Hannah out for walks and stuff, but I'm not getting my heart rate up. She's too slow. Any exercise that I get is when she's at preschool. And I don't go out in the rain, although once in a while I do the mall-walking.

    ReplyDelete