Monday, December 17, 2012

Sometimes, I May Say Things That Upset You


I have a bad habit of posting things on the Internet and then getting the idea that I hurt someone’s feelings with what I said. When I check in with people about it, I sometimes learn that yes, I really put my foot in someone’s ass without even meaning to. Other times, my worries were unfounded.

I post things in order to find rapport with others. I hope that other people can sometimes relate to the things I said and feel better or learn something helpful.

But here’s where the trouble begins (and where I learn a valuable lesson): finding connection with some people necessarily means alienating others, because people are different. So if I state an opinion, I get people agreeing with me, and others disagreeing. If you read what I write and immediately feel hurt or alienated by my opinion, I apologize, but I cannot guarantee I will never say things that will bother you. That’s just how it is. No one can get through this life without feeling some pain.

In the past, if I feared I’d hurt someone, I would just avoid posting for a while. Now I realize that no matter how kind or P.C. my statements may be, there may always be some people who take offense. At the risk of sounding rude: that’s their problem, not mine. 

3 comments:

  1. The thing I love about social media is it allows so many discussions with a variety of people. Yes, you are bound to offend someone here and there. And I think that's awesome. Helps to stretch the boundaries of our comfortable thought. In my opinion, this stretching is of utmost importance to personal growth.
    What makes us each fabulous is that our personalities have so many different facets. Each impacted by different forces.
    You and I have very different political affiliations. However, through talking with you more, we really are very similar in many areas. Having discussions with people you deeply respect, regardless of where you each stand, is great.
    I look forward to the day we can get together again and get into a 'good' discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've never written anything that I consider mean, hurtful or even slightlty rude. I think nearly everything I've read from you have been inspiring.

    "if I feared I’d hurt someone, I would just avoid posting for a while."

    This is what I do all the time... *sighs*. I admire you for not giving up on posting, and I am glad you continue to do it, because I love your posts!

    You should never have to apologize for having an opinion. If so, then everyone would have to apologize the whole time! (and I agree with the comment above).

    Be strong, dear.

    Hugs from 1st_loser/Josefine

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've never written anything that I consider mean, hurtful or even slightlty rude. I think nearly everything I've read from you have been inspiring.

    "if I feared I’d hurt someone, I would just avoid posting for a while."

    This is what I do all the time... *sighs*. I admire you for not giving up on posting, and I am glad you continue to do it, because I love your posts!

    You should never have to apologize for having an opinion. If so, then everyone would have to apologize the whole time! (and I agree with the comment above).

    Be strong, dear.

    Hugs from Josefine

    ReplyDelete