Monday, June 10, 2013

Spot the Pattern


I need to read the same thing from multiple sources before it finally occurs to me to put it all together and internalize the message. So in a marvelous coming together of resources, nearly every book I’ve read recently is saying the same basic thing in different ways.

See if you can detect the pattern:

“All we need to do is pay attention. We don’t have to decide if something is good or bad, right or wrong.  We don’t need to have judgments about what kind of person we are because we have certain kinds of thoughts of thoughts or feelings or reactions. That is the road to suffering. Our job is quite different: Just notice. What is happening right now? We notice this, then this, then that, then that… We pay attention to all of it. Where is the suffering?”
Suffering is Optional, by Cheri Huber

“The Indian philosopher J. Krishnamurti once remarked that observing without evaluating is the highest form of human intelligence. When I first read this statement, the thought, “What nonsense!” shot through my mind before I realized that I had just made an evaluation. For most of us, it is difficult to make observations, especially of people and their behavior, that are free of judgment, criticism, or other forms of analysis.”
Nonviolent Communication, by Marshall Rosenberg

“In a Zen kitchen, you do not compare or judge one apple as better than another. Every piece of food is unique unto itself, and every item of food is to be cherished without comparison.” – The Mystic Cookbook, by Denise Linn and Meadow Linn

“The Great Way is not difficult;
It only avoids picking and choosing.
When love and hate are both absent,
Everything becomes clear and undisguised.
Make the smallest distinction, however,
And heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.
If you wish to see the truth,
Then hold no opinions for or against anything.
To set up what you like against what you dislike
Is a disease of the mind.
When the deep meaning of things is not understood,
The mind’s essential peace is disturbed to no avail.
The Way is perfect like vast space,
Where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess
Indeed, it is due to our choosing to accept or reject
That we do not see the true nature of things.
Live neither in the entanglements of outer things
Nor in inner feelings of emptiness.
Be serene in the oneness of things
And such erroneous views will disappear by themselves.
To deny the reality of things
Is to miss their reality;
To assert the emptiness of things
Is to miss their reality.
The more you talk and think about it,
The further astray you wander from the truth.
Stop talking and thinking
And there is nothing that you will not be able to know.


So continuing in this theme, I will neither comment nor judge the preceding quotes. I simply present them to you, to make of what you will.

2 comments:

  1. I want to agree that it would be much better to not divide things in good or bad, to avoid comparing, and to avoid analyzing things and people... but at the same time, wouldn't that take away my personality? It's through likes and dislikes that people define themselves, so if I didn't compare and analyze things like movies or whatever, then I wouldn't be sure of what my taste is. And if I didn't compare people, then I would be open to all kinds of behaviours, which could be dangerous, since we all know there is a lot of manipulating people in the world. AND if I didn't compare peoples skills with my own (as long as it is in a healthy way) then there would be nothing to push me forward, no reason to improve myself, since creating is never entirely about pleasing just yourself. So I think the idea is nice, but naive. Also, it really is impossible to not divide and compare things/people in the end (and those who say they can are lying), because that is the kind of society we live in (unless it had been possible for us to live on our own since we were babies and never exposed to media).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd argue that being mindful of when you are judging can lead to a happier, more peaceful state of mind, even if you can't eliminate the judging itself.

    ReplyDelete