Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gluten Free for Me

I’ve had some strange experiences with food. Once I ate a candy bar and felt like my brain was lifting out of my skull like a UFO. In my twenties, I used to regularly get this crazed, stressed expression on my face if I ate sugary food on an empty stomach. Those were interesting, unpleasant times. But as I’ve aged, the weird phenomenon shifted; the Crazy mellowed out and was replaced with an insatiable hunger. Until I became gluten-free.

As a teen, I could eat six cans of Campbell’s soup in one day. I was thin as a piece of asparagus, weighing no more than 110 lbs. on my 5’ 6” frame, until my late twenties. Then I started to gain weight, and that was okay. I gained enough to be able to get pregnant and nurse a child for four years. I was fine with weighing 140 lbs. instead of 110. But then a couple of years ago, something changed. I was eating all the freaking time. Even my parents noticed it when I visited over the summer. And I was gaining weight, and weighed up to 155 lbs at one point.

I tried a couple of methods of losing weight, which have been chronicled on this blog: South Beach Diet, and walking. They worked for the short term, but then the weight would come back. I didn’t really know what to do.

Then I was visiting my in-laws over Thanksgiving and was talking to my sister-in-law, who has been gluten-free for a couple of years. She noticed I got really tired after eating a bunch of wheat products. She got me to thinking about it…what if I just quit wheat? And then, all the gluten-y wheat family grains like rye, barley and spelt? What would happen?

In mid-December I quit wheat, thinking it would only be for a few days. I was astounded; the hunger went away. I no longer needed to snack every few hours. I could eat food and it didn’t make me hungrier.

I was doing alright wheat-free, but then two days into it I felt really out of it and wonky. Kind of how I felt a couple days into the South Beach diet (which coincidentally also has you quit wheat in the early phases). I stayed off the wheat, soon felt better, and merrily went to see the in-laws for Christmas break, where I was easily able to continue the gluten-free course, since my sister-in-law was already doing it and foods were readily available for me.

At one point during our trip, we went to a Chinese restaurant. I didn’t ask, but know that my appetizer must have been using a wheat-containing soy sauce. I knew because the hunger came back for the short term. Along with the hunger came a crazy, out-of-it feeling. My husband even noticed I didn’t seem right. I couldn’t really contribute to the conversation anymore and just sat there.

In past years at the Christmas family party, I would sit quietly and not really talk to anyone until they spoke to me. Now free of gluten, I could go around and have active conversations with people. It kind of blew my mind, really. Could part of the reason I’m an anti-social introvert be simply because I’ve spent my entire life up to now in some kind of zonked out food coma?

At one point I ate a wheat-free cookie that was not gluten-free. It contained barley malt as a first ingredient. I ate it rather innocently, not expecting any real problems. But it made me feel awful. I was so wiped out I had to take a nap.

I’m now about 3 weeks into the gluten-free diet and have lost 4 pounds. But better than that, I am no longer controlled the need to eat every couple of hours. I have more energy and I rarely get tired after I eat.

I’ll try to write more about gluten-free stuff in the weeks and months to come.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! Big changes. I'm suspecting I need to quit wheat and rice....hmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went gluten-free in September, in a very backwards fashion. I've always felt that I could eat anything with no consequences, but since going gluten-free I've noticed a number of improvements. My skin is better, which is the really weird one.

    I haven't tried non-wheat gluten yet. I'm thinking that I will at some point. It would be awfully convenient if I could eat spelt, for instance, since I really miss bread sometimes. But honestly, if it's a choice between feeling crappy and giving up bread, I'll give up bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the book "Wheat Belly"? It talks about skin problems (among other things) clearing up when you go wheat free.

      Delete