Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Taking a Break from the Internet

People are busy. I get that. I know people who are dealing with illness, children, aging parents, money problems, work problems and are just plain overwhelmed with how much there is to do and how little time there is to do it. I’m there with them; I get it. I drag myself to the end of the day and wonder how I only managed to do ten things rather than the fifteen I intended.

But here’s the thing. It pains me when I don’t hear from people. Maybe it pains other people when they don’t hear from me, I don’t know, they don’t tell me. I mean, I think I manage to return all phone calls and emails, but who knows? Maybe I read the email on my phone and forgot to mark it unread and it languished away, and you are sitting there waiting for my reply, even now.

I have the curse of Thinking Too Much. My imagination is often in overdrive, churning out scenarios. I think: Are these people failing to contact me because they are just busy? Or would they rather not have me in their lives? Either way, it hurts. Because I know it is all about priorities. You might not “have time” to contact me, but you “have time” to watch a movie or check Facebook. Right. I’ve been there. I’ve done that. And I sometimes avoid contacting people “for fear of rejection,” which I know is silly. And I certainly hope you are not thinking I will reject you. I often have extra homemade dinner food just lying around waiting for someone to eat it. I am here. You are there. Let’s bridge the distance, mkay?

I have blogs. Lots of ‘em. So many I am embarrassed to share them all. No one I know “has time” to peruse all of them. Which means no one knows all the sides of myself I choose to share with the world at large. And for some stupid reason, this makes me sad, because people who have decided I am not a priority don’t even really know me. We might have things in common that you never even knew about.

I love modern technology, but I hate it, too. I hate how it has brought us closer together yet farther apart. I can wish fervently that I could sit down and talk more about the things my friends have dropped hints about in social media, but I don’t “have time” to, because I have five other social media sites I “must check” before I go to bed. Ugh. Can you see why this is ridiculous?

I am not writing the post to try to make anyone feel guilty. I love you people. I can’t wait to hang out with you in the afterlife. It just saddens me that we may have to wait till we’re dead to have time for each other.

So with that said, I have every intention to take a break from social media for a while. You have my email address, or phone number, or you know where I live.

xoxo,

Alyssa

3 comments:

  1. I think social media is not an evil thing of and unto itself, but I find that I often feel less connected to people, the more time I spend on the Internet. Which isn't much. I actually hate blogs - nearly all of them. Even mine. Mine is done only under duress, and I try to think of it as a company newsletter rather than a blog.

    I don't have a point. I'm sorry that you're sad, and I suspect less time on Facebook can only be a good thing - for everyone. I like to get email from you. I have learned that the only way to "have time" to answer email - yours and most everyone else's - is to do it then and there, or else it will slip below the useful threshold of the To Do list.

    My mother also feels I don't keep in touch enough.

    I am beginning to dream of a passport-having life, in which I can tuck the kids in the car and just drive down for the weekend. I like *talking*. Slow talking. THe kind that happens when you're just there, in the same room, knitting or making stew or what have you. I miss that. I do miss you. I do think of you often, and I'm always glad when you email me.

    Did the tea cozy come yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! I miss you, too. :,(

      So far avoiding the sites has been a good thing. I feel more calm and centered. Less buzzing going around in my head.

      I did just get the tea cozy yesterday, thank you so much! Now I have to find a tea pot to fit with it. The one I have is ridiculously small, 12 oz.

      Delete
    2. I just wanted to reply and agree with your comment about a sigur ros video you had left... that's all... but keep blogging please I'd keep reading, and I would reply/ contact you about them...

      Delete