Monday, April 30, 2012

Don't let the Internet kill your Creativity


On the way to the bus stop this morning, my nearly-seven-year-old was telling me about a design for a squirrel feeder she’d devised. I was struggling to visualize her idea involving two strings and a “plastic thing shaped like a boat” and thought to myself “I would just google ‘squirrel feeder’ and see what other people have already come up with.” And then I paused for a moment and realized: the luxury of the Internet has made me mentally lazy. Rather than come up with my own, innovative solution, I sometimes simply refer to the ideas of other creative people and use those as springboards for my own design. It saves me time and effort. But at what price? Could I be more innovative if I were forced to get by without access to the wealth of human history that the Internet provides? Probably. Which is why I kept silent and didn’t tell my child to just google it. Maybe she really could “build a better mousetrap” if she’d never seen one before.

1 comment:

  1. it's hard to say. One of the benefits of civilization and good communication is that we don't all have to invent our own mousetrap, and sometimes a person when freed from having to do the first 10 steps can come up with an additional and genius 11th step to make a design better. There is something to be said for starting from a fresh slate, of course, but don't underrate the benefits of group problem solving either.

    I do think the Internet has probably made bar conversation different. No more half-sauced, hour-long, memorable debates over whether the third actor from the left in that old movie really was the guy who's famous now - someone will just pull out their phone and look it up. Conversation over.

    -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete