Tuesday, May 25, 2010

South Beach Diet, Day 2: Who knew parsley could be so yummy?

First let me mention something I realized at the end of Day 1: I felt fine, except my body said, "too much cheese." On Day 1 I had consumed a stick of string cheese, some low-fat Monterey Jack, and an intriguing but slightly repulsive concoction from the South Beach Diet book called Vanilla Ricotta Crรจme (1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese, 1 packet of Stevia (or other 0-cal sweetener), plus 1 tsp. of vanilla extract). Today I decided to eat a lot less cheese, replacing the overwhelming cheese snacks with bell pepper and hummus, or celery with almond butter.

On Day 2 of the South Beach Diet, Phase 1, I had an interesting experience.

It started with lunch. I was eating some zucchini roasted in olive oil that was leftover from the night before. The night before (as on all other nights I have eaten it), the zucchini was a rather ho-hum side dish. But this afternoon for lunch, it was absolutely delicious. It had a sweetness I had never detected before.

This revelatory taste experience continued throughout the day. I was in the garden picking and eating some Italian Flat Leaved Parsley (as I have been doing every few days for months), and was suddenly struck by a sweetness I had never noticed before in it. Granted, it was still mostly bitter, but so sweet and tasty at the same time I just kept eating and eating it.

That night at dinner I had the same experience with steamed cauliflower and also with ground beef. It's as if my body is cleaned out enough now of sugar that I can actually taste the sugars in other foods I don't normally think of as being sweet.

This is totally worth it! I wonder how long each of my meals will continue to be a miracle of flavor and deliciousness that was formerly reserved only for things like triple chocolate cupcakes?

A note about Troy: he's home sick with a cold, and somehow managed to lose 2.5 lbs in 1 day on this diet, even after getting up at 4 am to have a bowl of cereal. He's basically given up on the diet though, because he found that first day too hard on his system.

Me, I didn't lose any weight at all the first day. I don't really expect to lose much. I wonder if the people who lose the most weight on this diet are the ones who find it hardest to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment