Friday, October 5, 2012

Back to Poetry


When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I wrote a lot of poetry. I sold my chapbooks in stores, self-published a literary zine, recited my work on the college radio station, and even got paid a couple of times for reading my work at venues. But then a couple of things happened --- Poetry was used as a weapon against me by certain people. (That’s a long story that will likely never get written about in a public setting.) Then I got distracted by a cross-country move to Seattle in 1994 --- and I stopped writing poetry. For a while there I was writing song lyrics, but those don’t hardly count, you see. Bad poetry can pass for song lyrics. Mediocre poetry can be excellent song lyrics. Lyrics are awesome, but I’m not into songwriting at the moment.

I am entering a new phase in my life, one that cannot fully be conveyed in photography, paint on canvas, or standard blog posts. So I’m writing poetry again. I’ll publish it here if I think it’s worth sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment