Friday, October 12, 2012

The Cure for Loneliness


I’ve been one of those sad, emo kids…for the past thirty years. I am well familiar with the gut-wrenching feeling that accompanies being ignored and excluded from outings, as well as the terrible sense of being alone in a crowd at a gathering of my fellow human beings. I know the torment of missing people to the point of tears, as well as the agony of realizing that I haven’t got much truly, deeply in common with anyone I know. You see the irony of both these statements, I am sure.

But then I realized I was thinking about it all wrong.

I can’t connect with anyone in this world on a personal level. I have to connect on a transpersonal level. This is the secret to contentment. (Easier said than done, perhaps, but there it is).

In other words, it’s not about “me,” or “you,” and it never was. Outside the myth of ourselves as separate selves, is an amorphous world, swimming with possibility. When you dwell inside this very moment, you are connected with everyone else’s present moment. We’re all alive at this point in time, together. We all feel pain and joy and the myriad feelings common to the thread of life that binds us. This sort of connection is the joy I’ve been seeking. In this, there is no need to worry over the superficial things that alienate us from each other. In the moment between the inhale and the exhale, we are together in spirit and time.


No comments:

Post a Comment