Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Poem: Broken Wing Bud


Broken Wing Bud

for my left shoulder

Whether or not I ever had wings to start with
doesn’t matter.
It’s really about
the aching –
just behind my heart.

I first noticed it
in the crushing light of noon
when I tried to reach for the sun
but couldn’t feel its warmth.
Blocked by clouds I misconstrued as solid,
blinded by my ardent hope and expectations –
I shriveled.

Others would have kept trying
to fly toward the light
but I had no parachute to break my fall
and gave in to fear.
So cold, defeated, dead, denying,
broken.

What exactly I was trying to achieve
doesn’t matter.
It’s really about
the folly of expecting someone else to lift me higher,
and casting blame,
for the gnawing, yearning pain –
that won’t leave me alone.

Alone.
Where no one can tell me
I’ll never fly through the stars,
or conversely
that I must try for the sky
when all I need is within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment